£55.00Current stock: 0
Label: Vinegar Syndrome
BEYOND DREAM'S DOOR:
Lately, Ben hasn't been sleeping well. His dreams are filled with violent and terrifying visions of monsters and death. Seeking out answers, he begins to pursue the subtext and hidden meanings of his strange and terrifying nightmares, with the help of his professor and several friends. As the dreams grow increasingly lifelike, Ben fears that he's losing his grip on sanity, especially as those around him start turning up dead; horribly mutilated just like he's seen in his sleep...
A low-on-budget but extremely high on ambition apocalyptic horror film, and the first feature written and directed by jack-of-all-trades filmmaker, Jay Woelfel, the Ohio lensed BEYOND DREAM’S DOOR skillfully blends elements of surrealism, mystery, and grotesque and violent horror set-pieces, resulting in a wholly singular vision. Sadly relegated direct-to-video, BEYOND DREAM’S DOOR has earned a sizable cult following and comes to Blu-ray for the very first time, from Vinegar Syndrome, painstakingly reconstructed shot by shot from its original, unedited 16mm camera negative, and is presented in its director's cut.
directed by: Jay Woelfel
starring: Nick Baldasare, Rick Kesler, Susan Pinsky, Norm Singer
1988 / 80 min
Weird things are happening in and around the Wild Goose Lodge, a snowy inn located in rural Massachusetts. People are being found dead and mutilated, while others are vanishing without a trace. Realizing that the violence might have something to do with Native American black magic and the ancient secrets of the area's historic totem poles, a trio of cops decide to investigate the goings on, and are faced with an array of monsters, ghouls, and even a sampling of murderous locals!
A film which truly justifies the term 'unclassifiable,' and the sole feature from writer and director Christopher Thies, WINTERBEAST was shot on and off for nearly half a decade and in a mix of super 8mm and 16mm, resulting in a one of a kind piece of outsider art horror filmmaking that must be seen to be believed. Loaded with surreal dialogue, mind-blowing stop motion animation, homemade gore effects, and more than a few genuinely creepy moments, Vinegar Syndrome is delighted to bring this forgotten cult gem to Blu-ray, newly restored and reconstructed from it’s original film elements and presented in both its commonly seen released version along with a never before released workprint edit.
directed by: Christopher Thies
starring: Tim R. Morgan, Mike Magri, Charles Majka, Bob Harlow, Dori May Kelly, David Majka
1992 / 76 min / 1.33:1
A group of college students have been given a very unusual assignment: spend the night inside of a supposedly haunted house, as part of their studies into the supernatural and occult. Although the rag tag team of collegiates would much rather party and get stoned than look for ghosts, it's not long before unexplained events begin to occur. Initially suspecting that some of their classmates might be playing a practical joke, their fears are proven very real when someone - or something - dressed in robes and carrying a scythe starts bumping them off one by one.
A truly local slice of ultra low budget supernatural-slasher made by a first time cast and crew based in St. Louis, Missouri, Jack Snyder's FATAL EXAM plays its haunted house tropes for its first half, before shifting gears into slice n' dice mayhem for its second half. Barely released in any format and never officially made available on disc, Vinegar Syndrome is happy to bring this low-fi curiosity on Blu-ray, newly restored in 2K from its 16mm original camera negative and featuring an illuminating array of extras.
directed by: Jack Snyder
starring: Mike Coleman, Terry Comer, Carol Carlberg-Snyder, Paul Steger
1988 / 114 min / 1.85:1
BEYOND DREAM'S DOOR:
• “Where Horror Lies” - a brand new extended making-of documentary featuring interviews with the cast and crew
• Brand new group commentary track with: director Jay Woelfel, cinematographer Scott Spears, actor Nick Baldasare & actor Rick Kesler
• Brand new commentary track with: actor Nick Baldasare, moderated by Dave Parker
• Group commentary track
• Commentary track with the director
• “Behind Dream’s Door” - making-of documentary
• “Getting Monstered” - fx featurette
• Montage of unused and alternate takes
• Unused and alternate fx footage
• Bloopers and behind-the-scenes footage
• Local news coverage
• Multiple deleted scenes
• Multiple trailers
• Multiple short films with commentary tracks
• Brand new commentary track with producer Mark Frizzell
• Archival commentary track with director Christopher Thies, producer Mark Frizzell and cinematographer Craig Mathieson
• “It Came from Lone Peak” - an unfinished early workprint version of Winterbeast
• “Sweat & Persistence” - a new interview with producer Mark Frizzell
• “I Saw it in a Dream” - a new interview with actor Charles Majka
• “My First Career” - a new interview with actor David Majka
• “So Bad, It’s Good” - a new interview with actress Dori May Kelly
• “He Wears Sunglasses at Night” - a new interview with actor Mike Magri
• “A Movie For Filmmakers” - a new interview with filmmaker Simon Barrett
• “Oh, Dear, What can the Matter Be?” - an archival making-of documentary
• Archival deleted scenes
• Archival audio interview with composer Michael Perilstein
• Archival ‘soap opera’ footage
• Group commentary track with: Jack Snyder (director), Terry Comer (actor), Carl Leta (composer), William Crawford (sfx), Mike Coleman (actor), Dave Mayer (actor)
• “Fatal Examination” - a brand new extended making-of documentary featuring interviews with the cast and crew